My boyfriend is Polish so I've spent a fair bit of time eating and cooking Polish food. This is a new recipe I made this weekend - kompot can be made from any stewed fruit, and is a super refreshing beverage (the stewed fruit pieces are especially amazing!). Here I used rhubarb and strawberries freshly picked from our garden, but any summer fruits (like cherries or raspberries) would work really well.
- 3 sticks rhubarb
- around 150g strawberries, hulled
- granulated sugar (to taste)
- Sprig of mint
1. If you can, pick your own rhubarb and strawberries :) Wash the fruit well.
2. Hull the strawberries, and chop the rhubarb into pieces around 1 inch in length.
3. Place in a saucepan, and add 1-2 tbsp of sugar. More sugar can be added later if the kompot tastes too tart.
4. Half-fill the saucepan with water, and bring to the boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes, until the fruit is soft. Add the mint leaves.
5. Taste, and add more sugar if needed.
6. Leave to cool, before pouring into sterilized jars.