This recipe had no scary ingredients, and took around half an hour to make.
I'll admit that they were more flat bread than pitta bread, but they were delicious (if a bit uneven...)! We had them topped with roast chicken - yummy!
This is a recipe based on one from this website.
Makes 6 pitta breads
- 255g gluten free white bread flour (we used Doves), plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup yoghurt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 220c/200c fan oven/ gas mark 7. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper, and dust with flour.
2. Sieve together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt. Make a hole in the center of the bowl.
3. Warm the yoghurt and milk together (in a pan or microwave) until it is lukewarm (not boiling!). Pour into the hole you've made in the dry ingredients, then add the vegetable oil.
4. Stir together the dough - it will be very wet! Once all the dry ingredients have been incorporated stop mixing - overworked pittas do not taste good :(
5. Dust your hands in flour. Take approximately 1/6 of the mixture, and pat in flour. Place on a prepared baking tray and flatten out, ideally to about half a cm. Try to aim for an oval shape. Repeat with the rest of the mixture to make 6 pittas.
6. Bake for 10 minutes. At this point, take out of the oven and carefully flip over - I found that some of the pittas did stick (if you have any suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated!). Bake for a further 3-4 minutes.
7. Take out of the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
See my other GBBO inspired bakes!