Last week we went to the Manchester Christmas Markets - if you haven't been and live in the north of England, I would highly recommend going. It's my favourite Christmas market, with hundreds of stalls - so much food to choose from, and we had some delicious English, German and Italian sweets (some of which are on my list of things to bake). It was a cold day so we had some special mulled wine, and it was so fantastic we decided to make our own.
Here’s my exceptionally easy recipe. You may need to alter the amount of sugar depending on your preference/the sweetness of the wine bought.
Makes around 1.5 litres
- 2 bottles red wine
- 3 satsumas, segmented
- 6 cloves
- 6 cardamom pods, bruised (to open them up)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Handful of juniper berries
- 60g sugar
1. Pour the wine into a large saucepan.
2. Add all of the other ingredients, and bring to a simmer (lightly boiling).
3. Simmer (but don’t boil!) for 20 minutes. Strain (to remove the spices).
4. Serve hot. Enjoy!